Site Reliability Engineer
What we are up to
How would you like to help a major construction company make a switch to open source? Are you the experienced Ops Engineer who can guide our various operating companies through the process of migrating to the cloud and replacing all their existing applications?
Many companies in the field of construction are struggling to keep up with the pressures of increasing digitization of their business. How do you handle things like virtual building and the Internet of Things? In many cases these transitions are held back by an application landscape that consists of outdated closed source software packages. Our client has taken a radical approach to solving this issue (by the way, the project is already ongoing, so this is not just a strategic goal):
- Close all the on-premise data centers and migrate the entire IT landscape of the different operating companies to a single cloud based infrastructure, thus also integrating network and security operations;
- Phase out every single closed source application and make a completely fresh start in a new 100% open source cloud based architecture;
- Merge the separate databases into a single data infrastructure and implement the appropriate tools for searching and managing that data;
- Seamlessly integrate custom built software written for projects by the in-house development team with the internal infrastructure.
Where we stand today: The basic system architecture is in place and we have migrated the first operating companies to our Trazure platform. We are also going to launch the first big open source application (Odoo) before the summer.
What's on the roadmap: First and foremost we are going to switch from a single cloud architecture to multi cloud, while also continuing the influx of new operating companies in our platform. Inside the platform we are now making a start with implementing automation tooling for our development team (Docker/Jenkins).
Sounds exciting right? Now all we need is the right technical talent to make all this a success! I'm sure you can imagine that making all this happen for an environment with 16k users spread over a large number of semi independent companies requires a serious team, both in terms of numbers and experience.
We have approached you for this vacancy based on your online profile (we mostly use LinkedIn for searches) and on paper it would seem like there's a good match between your knowledge and experience on the one hand and our needs on the other.
What we have to offer
The transition our client is going through is quite unique so being part of this process seems like a good motivator in itself. There are however some more reasons why this position is worth your serious consideration:
- You get to do some real pioneering, without the drawbacks of working in a startup company;
- Our team has a high level of technical autonomy, giving you a high level of influence on decisions involving technology choices and architecture;
- We expect to grow quite quickly in the coming years, which will of course result in good opportunities for the colleagues who are there pretty much from the start;
- A good salary and excellent secondary benefits, such as 30 vacation days and an excellent pension plan;
In short: a great package of challenge, fun and reward.
Who we are looking for
Our ideal candidate is a real open source enthusiast who feels comfortable with the diversity of tasks that comes with working in a compact team. Being part of the development team in a non-IT company also means you need to be able to make your own decisions about the details of the technical execution of your goals. In terms of background we are looking for:
- Strong knowledge of Linux, preferably combined with Ansible experience;
- Solid knowledge of networking and security;
- Near native fluency in spoken and written English.
- Nice to have: Scripting and/or coding skills in Python (which is our main backend language);
- Nice to have: Automation experience (Puppet, Docker, Jenkins);
If you recognise yourself in the above we look forward to getting in touch with you to discuss the position in detail.
About us and our client
Career Result is a recruitment agency. We have been contracted by our client to recruit for this position because of our specialization in open source development and (Dev)Ops vacancies. This specialty means we are able to have a real discussion with you about the specifics of this role and whether it might be a good match for your ambitions.
Our client is a leading construction company with a strong focus on building infrastructure solutions for the (renewable) energy, utilities and railway fields. They have founded a separate internal startup unit within the holding to realize their ambitions of leading the construction industry in terms of IT expertise and digital security. If you want to know more about this exciting position, please don't hesitate to contact Richard ten Brink at 06 11 88 43 61.
- Vacancy ICT
- ICT Data Storage, Virtualization & Infrastructure