Commercial Operator & Analyst
BASIC PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Together with EBN, an independent company with the Dutch state as its sole shareholder, TAQA has developed Gas Storage Bergermeer, Europe’s most advanced and largest third party access gas storage facility.
TAQA Gas Storage is the entity which is responsible for commercial operations of the gas storages of TAQA in the Netherlands. The Capacity Marketing Company (CMC) is the vehicle to capture the revenues and resulting profits from the Gas Storage Bergermeer (GSB).
CMC Operations is a small international team, responsible for the contractual commitments towards our storage customers and steering the physical storage Bergermeer to a commercial optimum. We are looking for a talented Commercial Analyst & Operator to join the CMC Operations team.
Due to the nature of the job, no one day is the same. There are daily tasks/checks which need to be performed, bringing structure to a day. It is a fast-paced operational environment and we work to strict deadlines to execute either the instructions of our customers or live updates on new physical constraints.
Responsible for the daily operational process:
- Steering a billion euro asset;
- Managing customer requests within contract and physical constraints of the asset;
- Executing prompt trading to manage operational imbalances;
- First point of contact for any ad-hoc operational questions and queries;
- The creation, development and continuous improvement of procedures and customer usage forecasting;
- Support the in-house software development from drafting requirements up to user acceptance testing;
- On call/stand-by out of hours for ad-hoc questions and queries, according to a roster.
- Responsible and key commercial contact for GSB Technical Operators;
- First contact for all internal requests concerning the storage services.
Primary contact for
- Storage Customers operational requests;
- Our agent in the UK that handles CMC Operations tasks out of office hours;
- Trading parties;
- The Dutch Transmission Service Operator (GTS);
- The Dutch Transmission Service Operator for high voltage grid (TenneT).
Working within this team is first and foremost enjoyable and educational. The low turnover within the team clearly shows that it is an excellent environment where people are well taken care of. We can name the following characteristics of the role that certainly contribute to this:
- Substantive complex and interesting work;
- Ample opportunities for personal growth, both in terms of job content and role within the team;
- Be part of a motivated and high-quality commercial team, within a growing, international and successful company;
- Employment conditions that are more than in line with the market in combination with a good work-life balance;
We are happy to discuss during a personal introduction how the benefits of working for this company fit in with your personal ambitions.
QUALIFICATIONS / TRAINING
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor’s degree preferably in a technical or financial area;
- Minimum 3 years working experience within the energy industry;
- Working experience in commercial dispatching or commodity trading role.
- Knowledge in at least one programming language.
- Analytical mind;
- A proactive approach;
- Strong sense of responsibility;
- Self-motivated with a high level of attention to details;
- Excellent team working & communication skills;
- Stress resistant;
- Ability to process vast quantities of information quickly and to meet strict deadlines.
- Experience in storage optimisation or consumer forecasting highly desirable;
- Preferably a good understanding of the European gas market;
- Some understanding of the legal and regulatory framework;
- Some understanding of the Dutch electricity market.
- Customer-service oriented, both externally and internally;
- No 9h-5h mentality (due to rotating on call roster);
- Be able to work within set of procedures but dares to speak up and raise ideas for improvement;
- Planning and organizing skills;
- Good networking and some negotiating skills to maintain relationships with a range of contacts inside and outside TAQA;
- Fluent in English;
- Be confident to flag process improvements and challenge status quo.
TAQA ranks as one of the largest energy and water companies in the world. Our purpose: “powering a thriving future by efficiently providing sustainable and reliable energy and water to unleash the unlimited potential of people and places”.
With over 30 nationalities across the global organisation, we are committed to promoting a corporate culture where everyone is valued and able to play their part in building our future success.
In the Netherlands, we focus on the on- and offshore production of oil and gas as well as the operation of two underground gas storage facilities. The latter are strategic assets in the provision of reliable gas in the Netherlands. Their importance will only increase in the coming years as the greater dependence on gas imports will mean domestic storage becomes key to maintaining security of supply.
The energy landscape in the Netherlands is changing, and TAQA is supporting the energy transition in two key ways: we are contributing to continuity of gas supply in the short-term as the transition agenda moves forward. We are also participating in large-scale sustainability developments such as hydrogen and green gas expertise center Investa and Porthos, a CO₂ capture and storage project.
You will be given a lot of responsibility when you join the company, which you are expected to take. And you’ll get the space you need to do your job. Individual and team contributions really make a difference at TAQA.
Our success as a company depends on the engagement and passion of our people. Although our organization is large and global, locally we work with short reporting lines in an open and informal culture. We strive for diversity when attracting talent to our organisation and give your personal development our full attention.
In all we do, safety is our first priority. The safety and care of our people, as well as our surroundings and the environment.
- Vacancy Trading, Risk & Quant
- Oil & Energy